January 7, 2010

Limbo

So I just finished reading a book called "Limbo" by Alfred Lubrano. I can honestly say it's one of the best books I have ever read. It's about a man who grew up in blue-collar Brooklyn and ended up graduating from Columbia; getting his Masters degree; and evidently getting out of the blue-collar world and moving to the white-collar world. He has this feeling of not belonging in either world, but he's somewhere in between - his very own Limbo. The whole book talks about his transition between the worlds. He also interviews many people dealing with the same transition, but their stories are much different.

I loved the book because I felt he wrote it just for me. I feel like I'm dealing with the exact same problems that all the people in this book are going through. I'm a first-generation college student and my parents are always asking me what good school is gonna do for me.

Limbo really is an amazing book and I highly recommend it to everyone - especially first-generation college students. You won't regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment