February 15, 2010

Thanatophobia

Necrophobia or Thanatophobia is the abnormal fear of death or dead things (e.g., corpses) as well as things associated with death (e.g., coffins). Necrophobia is derived from Greek nekros (νεκρος) for "corpse" and -phob- for "fear". Thanatophobia is derived from Thanatos (θάνατος: "death"), the personification of death.

The more I read about it, the more I think I have Thanathophobia. I'm not really afraid about what's gonna happen after we die  - well not more afraid than any other person. I'm more scared of seeing someone die around me. By that I don't mean having someone emotionally close to me die (although that really scares me too), I mean seeing someone just fall to the floor and die while I'm physically close to them. That thought just horrifies me. This might make me sound like even more of an asshole, but that's why I always take an alternate route whenever I see someone really old next to me. I know the chances of it happening are like 1,000,000:1, but it still haunts me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment